Saturday, February 03, 2007

Lolita

The reader will regret to learn that soon after my return to civilization I had another bout with insanity (if to melancholia and a sense of insufferable oppression that cruel term must be applied). I owe my complete restoration to a discovery I made while being treated at that particular very expensive sanatorium. I discovered there was an endless source of robust enjoyment trifling with psychiatrists: cunningly leading them on, never letting them see that you know all the tricks of the trade; inventing for them elaborate dreams, pure classics in style (which make them, the dream extortionists, dream and wake up shrieking). By bribing a nurse I won access to some files I discovered with glee, cards calling me "potentially homosexual" and "totally impotent." The sport was so excellent - its results - in my case - so ruddy that I stayed on for a whole month after I was quite well (sleeping admirably and eating like a schoolgirl).
- Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita, pg. 34.

1 comment:

Ryan Mc said...

I'm sure you've heard the Police's song "Don't Stand So Close to Me," a rather autobiographical pedophilic song, where Sting mentions Nabokov.